World_news Philadelphia shooting: Live updates as 6 police officers shot in ongoing standoff with suspect who apparently used Facebook livestream today – CBS News



At least six police officers were shot in what police called an “active and ongoing” hourslong standoff in Philadelphia, authorities said. Two officers who had been trapped in the building with the shooter were freed after several hours but the standoff continued, police said. 

After three hours, Police Commissioner Richard Ross said the situation was “in no way resolved.” 

Ross said they are trying to communicate with a “single male” suspect. Police spokesperson Eric Gripp tweeted earlier that police are “imploring him to surrender and avoid further injuries.” 

Gripp tweeted that children from nearby daycare centers with dozens of children inside had been evacuated. 

Gripp said the officers were transported to local hospitals with non life-threatening injuries. Mayor Jim Kenney said at a press conference that he had spoken to all six officers. 

Four women who were escorted from the scene told CBS Philadelphia they were on the second floor of the building with the suspect. “I thank God for these cops,” one woman said. 

Officers gather for crowd control near a massive police presence set up outside a house as they investigate a shooting in Philadelphia, Wednesday, Aug. 14, 2019.


He said the shooting scene in was still active in the city’s Nicetown-Tioga neighborhood. Police urged residents to avoid the area. Additional officers were also being treated for non-gunshot injuries, Gripp said. 

Sources told CBS Philadelphia it appeared the suspect livestreamed at least part of the shootout. At least one male suspect was believed to be barricaded inside a building as gunshots were fired at officers, CBS Philadelphia reported. 

Police were first called to the scene around 5 p.m. for narcotics activity, Captain Sekou Kinebrew told CBS Philadelphia.

At least one officer was shot in the head, one was shot in the leg and another in the hand. It’s unclear where the other officers were shot. Several of the officers shot were taken to Temple University Hospital. The university said the Health Sciences Center had been on lockdown for several hours, and it was lifted by 7 p.m.

“Seek shelter. Secure doors. Be silent. Be still. Police are responding,” the university tweeted

Police asked news helicopters to avoid the area, tweeting that they were hindering police activity. 

White House spokesman Hogan Gidley said President Trump had been briefed on the situation and is monitoring. 

Jericka Duncan contributed to this report. This is a breaking story. It will be updated. 

Read More